What is an unauthorised absence?
Unauthorised absence from school
Unauthorised absence is where a school is not satisfied with the reasons given for the absence.
Reasons that will be unauthorised without discussion include;
- Shopping trips
- including for school uniform
- To act as an interpreter for a parent or carers appointment
- Almost all services will be able to provide an interpreter for your appointment. You should request an interpreter at the time of booking.
- To greet or say goodbye to visiting friends or relatives
- To look after younger siblings
- In some cases, this could put your child and the child they are looking after at risk of harm.
- Because you are expecting a visitor or delivery to your home
- To go on holiday
- Visits abroad may be considered if there are exceptional circumstances. In this case, you should speak to Mrs Briggs, Mrs Blakemore or Mrs Sutton and complete a request for leave form. All requests are treated on their merit.
Regardless of the reason given, the school is not required to authorise any absence and typically will no longer authorise days off if your child's attendance is below 93%